Saturday, August 18, 2012

Almond Blueberry Waffles

Welcome to my first post!  I love cooking, and have enjoyed being a cook in Korea.  I have had to be really creative in cooking western food and love it!  I am trying to cook familiar food in a healthy way whenever possible, however in a country that LOVES salty food, and does not sell much no or low fat stuff, so it is a true challenge.



Two days ago, I put about a cup of cream into a jar with 2 table spoons of plane yogurt in it and left it out for about 12 hours covered with a paper towel.  Then we put the lid on it and put it in the fridge.  Last night, I pulled it out to use it in tacos, and it turns out, that the cream that I used was pre-sweetened!  So instead of sour cream, I accidentally made creme fraiche!  I could not use it for dinner, but I decided to make blueberry waffles with it instead!

So today I woke up, and looked up the recipe for the waffle mix I made.  I had to look it up because the directions on my package are in Korean.  I have a waffle mix from down the street from my old house in Oregon.  I LOVE Bob's Red Mill and am so happy I can get it in Korea!  I love to use their 7 grain pancake and waffle mix for Saturday morning waffles.  

I read the directions, and it called for the usual stuff for waffle mix, only I changed it up a little bit.  I was out of oil, so I melted some butter.  I saw on the mix that if you added milk instead of water to the recipe, so I decided to make some almond milk, since I had soaked some almonds the night before.  I peeled 1/2 a cup of raw soaked almonds, and put 11/2 cups of water in with it.  I blended it in the food processor until it was very fine.  I did not strain, as I wanted the almond pulp in the almonds. I added the other ingredients into the processor and mixed just until the mix was mixed well.  



While I was blending the almonds I threw most of a bag of frozen blueberries into a pan.  I added three table spoons of white sugar, and about teaspoon of cornstarch dissolved in water because I was hungry and the syrup was not thickening up as fast as I wanted.  

I also heated up my little waffle iron and sprayed it with oil from my pampered chef spritzer.  

I filled up the iron, and let it do it's thing.  I kept an eye on the blueberries, and got the cream out.  The berries were very sweet, and when the waffles were done, I piled on the blueberries and put on a dollop of creme fraiche.  It got a little more sour from last night but still pretty sweet.  It cut the sweet berries to very enjoyable.  

I have to admit, the waffles did not fluff up as much as I had hoped (considering I used milk...right?) but they were pretty filling, and having the nut milk added protine and fiber for the next several hours.  My husband and I did not crash as fast as I figured we might have for the sweet berries, because we had it pretty balanced out.  It was very enjoyable!  

For waffle directions using the Bob's Red Mill Mix, see this website:

Thanks for checking out my first block...please give me feedback and let me know how I can improve.  
<3 
Jessica, the Felkel Foodie! 


No comments:

Post a Comment