Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pineapple Salsa

A few weeks ago, my husband had a school camp he had to work at.  He  did the same lessons two weeks in a row for different kids.  The first week, both of our moms were in Korea, and they went and helped him out.  They made tacos on Friday of that week.  Some of the flavors were new to the students and they were worried that it might be a little spicy, and asked for some solutions on something to add with a little sweetness to it.  I suggested Pineapple Salsa.  I had never made it before, but I have had it at places like Baja Fresh in the USA, and LOVED it.  I know people make salsa with fruit, but it is not something I have really ever considered.  I have not made salsa since college...no real reason, just lazy I think.  So, here is what I came up with for Jeremy's students to try on their tacos (with the help of Two Peas and Their Pod).

I use my food processor, which does not make the cut super pretty, but it makes the process fast and clean and in my tiny kitchen that is what I needed.
So I did not follow the directions exactly from the website I mentioned, I can't get all of the exact ingredients.  But I do my best with what I have, and honestly, I think it turns out fine.  This is my second time making it since making it or the students, and it was a huge hit!  My husband came home with a clean bowl.  

I processed 2 onions until they were all chopped, but not turned to mush.  They looked like this:
 I processed up 2 red bell peppers, and the pineapple to look about the same.
I threw them all in a bowl, and mixed. 
From what I have read, Pineapple is the only fruit that can be canned in 100% juice, and not go bad.  I always try to buy this kind of canned pineapple when I can, as the stuff is even light syrup is very sweet and adds a lot of un-natural sugar.  
This is the kind of pineapple I am able to find locally.

I processed each item individually, so the colors didn't mix too much.  With the two cans of pineapple I also threw in about 1/2 a cup of pickled jalapenos.  They are the only kind of jalapenos I can find in Korea!  I also added maybe 3 cloves of garlic.  I process large amounts of garlic at once, and throw them in the freezer, so I am never sure exactly how much I use.  I used maybe a table spoon, and a half.  I took the leaves off of maybe 10 dried cilantro stems (coriander) and mixed the leaves in with everything else.  
I also need to add a few table spoons of lime juice, however I forgot to buy it last night.  So my husband is going to pick some up after work, and add it.  I think you should let it marinade for at least 6 hours, for the best flavor.  
  

I am afraid for recipes, I don't really measure things as I could...but I will do my best to write out the exact recipes I did today (adding the lime juice):

Pineapple Salsa

3 small white onions
2 red peppers (when I have yellow, orange, or green I choose one of two different colors)
2 cans of pineapple (I can get rounds but if you want to get one can of chunks one can of crushed, you don't even need to process it)
1/2 cup of jalapinos 
Cilantro to taste
1/2 a cup of lime juice (more or less depending on what you like)

chop of the veggies either by hand or using a food processor.  If you process it, make sure to do each item seperatly so your onions do not turn red, and be careful to leave chunks, not pulverize the veggies to puree.  
Add cilantro and lime juice to taste, and let sit for several hours.  If the flavor is a little lacking, add just a tiny bit of salt to bring the flavors out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment