Sunday, August 19, 2012

Friends Japanese/American Kitchen

Today I went to a new(er) restaurant in Hopyeong Dong, Namyangju si, called Friends Japanese American Kitchen.  It is located just up the street from Emart.  Here is a map, and what it looks like.



The owner speaks very good English and spent several years in Texas and Japan.  I thought it was a bit hilarious when I first saw this with my husband's and my moms a few weeks ago.


My husband had to go in and investigate while us girls were on a weekend, only to find out that the owner, who's English name is Eric, lived in Texas for several years as well as a few years in Japan, and partnered with two of his friends.  So this restaurant is in fact in Dallas, Fortworth, AND YES, Hopyeong-Dong, Namyangju Si!  Eric is a very nice guy.

The restaurant serves four different kinds of food, and varieties within that.  They serve burgers, cutlets (donkas), potatos, and chicken.  I can't read the menu but some of the things he translated were bacon burger, and chili burgers, as well as a 2 patty burger, and the basic regular and cheeseburgers.  Potatoes mean their signature battered french fries.  I know they serve them regular, with cheese sauce on them, and with cheese and chili on them.  They have pork cutlet, as well as chicken, shrimp and beef.  The batter is very light, and flaky.  Cutlets are served with rice, miso soup, and cabbage salad with seaseme dressing.  It is very good (and in all honesty the chicken cutlet is only thing I have had there in two trips).  Their fries are good, however they are pretty heavy with the batter on them.  I have seen a photo of their fried chicken fingers, but I have not seen them or tried them yet. Their menus are fun, as you get a thick menu board, and a whiteboard marker.  Then you mark what you want on your menu, and just give it back to the waitress.  They don't have an English Menu yet, but they are working on it.



Today, my husband promised to do some promotion for him, so we both brought our cameras (me for the blog, him for the facebook promo he is doing for our local area), and not only did we get pictures of our two meals, but Eric actually made a burger just for promotion.  After we took photos of it, he packed it up in a to go box and we brought it home for dinner later.  Here is some of the food that they serve at Friends:

Chicken cutlet


Signature battered cheese fries


Chili Burger


Fried chicken with cheese fries


I have not seen the fried chicken, but my husband had it one time.  They serve several kind of beer, three kinds of fanta, sprite, and coke.

They have a fun atmosphere, and are very friendly.  Their dining room is bright and clean, and it even shows Eric's friends from Texas. Since Texas is his theme, he has lots of the Texas flag, and even has a cute Longhorn stuffed animal in a case.









And this is Eric, the owner.

He is a great guy to chat with while you are eating.  So if you happen to be in Hopyeong Dong, Namyangju Si, check out friends.  As you can see by the map at the top, it is pretty easy to get to from the station.  Oh, and they do take out and delivery.  Their delivery business is really booming!  I forgot to check their exact hours, but I know they close at 9:30 pm.  Here is their phone number:  031-594-7972


Enjoy!  I know we did!

Oh, and go check out this little guy!  :-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment