Thursday, August 30, 2012

Holy Hash Browns Batman!

Who doesn't love breakfast for dinner?  I DO!  I cannot eat eggs so I don't do anything like quiche, (much to my husband's chagrin I am sure), but I do do waffles, and I do do hash browns. :-)  
In fact, when I was in maybe 4th grade, my mom had to work, and I stayed with a teenage babysitter.  She loved my hash browns so much, that while I was supposed to be doing my homework at night, She had her friends coming over to try my hash browns for dinner instead.  This babysitter was in my home, and she got in big trouble for having her friends over and eating all of our food, but I can't blame my mom for that, or for getting mad that I was cooking for her, when I was supposed to be doing my homework.  No one was ever really sure why my hash browns were so good, but in a household that didn't cook with salt, adding just a dash made a difference!  
Fast forward 20 years or so, my hash-browns are still pretty amazing!  The ones I made last night were especially good if you like SPICE!

These hash browns are inspired by a bag of home fries that we bought for hash-browns when I was not cooking them on my own.  

My recipe this time deviated from the norm a little bit, but for the most part it is the same.  I start by washing and peeling potatoes.  Then I used to slice them by hand, but I have this handy dandy mandolin that slices them so much faster than I can.  I actually have started cutting them like short little french fries, and about the same thickeness as a Mcdonalds fry.  




Before I cook them though, I always cook some meat in the pan.  I usually take about 1/2 of a package of bacon, and use the kitchen sheers to cut it up into maybe on inch squares, and fry it.  I dump out most of the extra bacon grease, and use that try the potatoes in.  This time however, I had some pepperoni left over in my fridge that needed to be eaten, so I used that.  




The meat I did take the casing off, and chop it up by hand.  I have tried it in the slicer but the hard sausage is not quite hard enough for that!  After it is fried up, I drain it on a paper towel.  

Then I threw the potatoes in, and had to add maybe a tablespoon of oil, because the sausage did not render that much grease.  



While the potatoes were cooking and starting to get brown, I diced up 2 onions and 2 peppers.
  



Then I chopped a handful of jalapenos and four hot chili peppers very fine.  The 


Next, I thawed some garlic.  Maybe just over  a tablespoon.  


Once the potatoes started getting brown, and were almost done, I threw all of the other veggies in together.


Once the onions started getting white, I added in the leaves of about 8 stems of dried cilantro.  I took the leaves off the stems, because they get kinda stringy when they are not fresh.  

I stirred and mixed until the potatoes had some nice crusty spots, and the onions were done.  


Once it is done, you have just about every food group but dairy in one meal, and about equal parts fresh veggies to potatoes, so even though it is full of carbs, I have just as many onions and peppers in here as I have potatoes.  The diary comes with the service however.  You finely grate some cheddar cheese and sprinkle it on top.  


When we have it, sometimes we put salsa or sour cream on top too, but we did not have either one for this meal.  

Holy Hash Browns

5 potatoes medium sized
2 medium sized onions
2 peppers (whatever color you have)
1/4 cup spicy peppers
1 tablespoon worth of garlic
  cilantro to taste.
  Salt and Pepper to taste 
  Meat, I used half a sausage of pepperoni, but I usually use 1/2-1 package of bacon
  Grated cheddar cheese

Fry up your meat in a pan.  When it is done, remove and drain on a paper towel.  Wash, peel and slice potatoes in uniform shape and size.  Put them in the pan that had the meat in it, add more oil if necessary (drain some first in necessary).  There should be just enough oil to lightly coat the potatoes.  While the potatoes are cooking, keep an eye on them, and stir, scraping the bottom, but dice up onions, peppers, and spicy peppers.  Add 2-3 cloves of garlic, and once the potatoes start getting brown and crispy, and softer, add all the other veggies in.  When the onions start getting white, add the cilantro, and throw the meat back in to warm up.  If you are doing bacon, you might want to leave it off until you are ready to serve and just sprinkle it on top.  That way it retains it's crunchiness.     Put on a plate and sprinkle with grated cheddar or your favorite cheese!  



No comments:

Post a Comment